Paint List: The Empire Strikes Back Armor (Collar, Chest, Ab, Back, Cod)

boba87fett

Admin
Staff member
Hi everyone,

This thread will contain paint lists for The Empire Strikes Back armor. The primary goal of this thread is to be a collective reference point for those planning out their paint ups.

I'd like to utilize paint ups done in vintage Floquil, pollyscale or contemporary replica paints like Archive-X in order to find the most accurate and likely color combinations. However, paint ups with other paint brands can be shared too if you feel you've found an accurate alternative.

Please copy and paste the following information if you intend on sharing your paint up. Then include photos, preferably some on a full costume, some in a light box or with studio style lighting. If you have a color card or white balance card you can use with your photos, please do.

Information

Year Painted: 2022
Paint Brand: Floquil, Pollyscale, Archive-X, etc.
Paint Type: Acryilc or Enamel
Paint Age: Vintage or Contemporary
Paint Thinner Used: Brand and Type
Paint Up Style: Layered, Topical, Combination

Paint List
Primer: Brand, Type, Color
Base Silver: Brand, Type, Color
Yellow: Brand, Type, Color (Left Chest/Abd)
Dark Gray: Brand, Type, Color (Right Chest, Collar, Back, Diamond)
Green: Brand, Type, Color
Weathering 1: Brand, Type, Color
Weathering 2: Brand, Type, Color

-Steven

This is what I *plan* on doing with my new MinuteFett armor that's coming, based on the review of many paint ups so far.

Information
Year Painted: TBD
Paint Brand: Archive-X
Paint Type: Acryilc
Paint Age: Contemporary
Paint Thinner Used: Archive-X Thinner
Paint Up Style: Layered

Paint List:
Primer: Tamyia Fine Surface Primer in Light Gray
Base Silver: Vintage Pollyscale Acrylic Bright Silver (unless AX releases their Bright Silver)
Yellow: SP Armour Yellow (Left Chest/Abd)
Dark Gray: SP Lark Dark Gray (Right Chest, Collar, Back, Diamond)
Green: Weyerhaeuser Green
Weathering 1: Mist with Grime
Weathering 2: Mist with SP Lark Dark Gray
Weathering 3: Mist with Weyerhaeuser Green to tone back a bit as needed
Clear Coat: None

I based a lot of that on the paint ups by @roger12RAMJET Michael Longlands/Alogrithm Props. You can find lots of his work on his Facebook too. I will replace this photo with my own once its done.

1665518344098.png

Last edited:
Was Archive X 1975 dark green used on the right chest plate instead of Weyerhaeuser Green?

Last edited:
Was Archive X 1975 dark green used on the right chest plate instead of Weyerhaeuser Green?
The difference in tone is likely due to a combination of different layers underneath (dark grey vs yellow) and misting different colours on top.

In Ord Mantell's build thread he shows that he misted the right chest, diamond, and collar with Dark Green, and the left chest and ab with Depot Olive. That's in addition to other colours, and I think he did a great job at replicating the subtle differences between the armour plates.

Looking for some good color options / paint brands for the dark blue of Jasters Sigal as well... I don't see anything color wise for that on Archive X (Newtype) website.

Looking for some good color options / paint brands for the dark blue of Jasters Sigal as well... I don't see anything color wise for that on Archive X (Newtype) website.
I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I used a "true navy" from the craft section at Wal-mart for mine. I would've preferred Tamiya or ArchX, but couldn't get the mix ratio right and stumbled across what looked like a great match while grabbing some other craft supplies. :)

I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I used a "true navy" from the craft section at Wal-mart for mine. I would've preferred Tamiya or ArchX, but couldn't get the mix ratio right and stumbled across what looked like a great match while grabbing some other craft supplies. :)
I will prob just end up mixing some to desired dark blue shade

Back