PP2 Ord Mantell's PP2 Build

Ord Mantell

BFB Hero
I've been thinking about this a long time. I've come to realize that though my love of ESB runs deep, my first love was the Kenner toys packaging Fett -- aka PP2. There's not going to be as many found parts on this one, though a few. Still gathering parts. So here it goes.

Parts list

• Helmet - Malone Day Fett MDF #16 or #19 (will determine which one later)
  • Helmet Rangefinder - Terminal Fettler
  • Helmet Metal Ears - @Minute Fett
  • Helmet Metal Borden - Elstree Precision Co.
  • Helmet visor - t-visors.com
  • Bonnet/cowl - Clothears
  • Armor - @Minute Fett
  • Knee Darts - 1 vintage found part Michell sweep arm part + 3 replica metal cylinders by @MojoFett
  • Armor Collar Studs - possible vintage found part: Litton Royal 242PD adding machine keys, ebay
  • Chest Armor Light Display - none
  • Jetpack - Darth Voorhees/7CS
  • Jetpack Harness -
  • Jetpack Harness US Divers Belt Buckle - vintage found part, eBay
  • Jetpack Beacon -
  • Jetpack Stabilizer - replica
  • Jetpack Thruster Greeblies - @Questdesign
  • Jetpack Micro Mega Endodontic File -
  • Jetpack Hooks and Clips - FullMetalFett
  • Jetpack/Gauntlets cable hookups - vintage found parts ITT Canon cables and connectors
  • Gauntlet Kit - @Minute Fett
  • Left Gauntlet Glenross Dental Expander Screw -
  • Left Gauntlet 'Laser' with Copper Tip -
  • Left Gauntlet Flamethrower - Kuhnke found parts 47.220, 50.130, 50.052, 50.061.02
  • Gauntlet Micro Mega Endodontic Files - vintage red 90, silver 70
  • Right Gauntlet Darts -
  • Cape - vintage military tent material, ebay
  • Wookie Scalps -
  • Flak Vest - @Clothears
  • Flight Suit with neck seal (One Piece) - Clothears
  • Hip Pouches - Clothears
  • Gloves - Clothears
  • Glove patches - vintage US army patches, 7th ID (woodland subdued), FORSCOM (woodland subdued), ebay
  • Girth Belt - custom made myself with real mohair and vintage roller buckles matching more closely to the original
  • White Vinyl Ammo Belt - HandmadeHorrorShop on Etsy
  • Shin Tool Sonic Beam Weapon - Paterson RC Print Squeegee from B&H
  • Shin Tool Anti-Security Blade - Paterson RC Print Squeegee from B&H + replica Michell stylus brush arms
  • Shin Tool Survival Knife - Paterson Stirrer
  • Shin Tool Mystery Tool - aluminum tube, 30mm outer diameter x 23mm interior diameter, Amazon
  • Boots -
  • Boot Spikes - @MojoFett
  • PP2 Blaster - vintage found parts Kaiser camera grip, Tasco hand telescope, and arrow greeblie from the Rotring Sec-o-Mat

The only vintage found parts that will probably be on this:

IMG_4050.jpg

Last edited:

Ord Mantell

BFB Hero
I found commissioning a helmet paint-up on the ESB build to be frustrating, so when the opportunity to buy a painted helmet by a master on a great PP2 lineage casting came along I bought one. Actually two! I got lucky. I will decide which one later. They are both my favorite.

On the left is MDF #16 painted by the legendary scoundrel @rubio95. On the right is MDF #19 by helmet paint master @famousfett

IMG_3709.jpg

Spicy fett

Supertrooper
I think this might be the one build I am the most stoked to see! Although I love the ESB the PP2 has always been my favorite and the only reason I didn’t go down that route is my want to join the 501st. I can’t wait to see how this turns out!

Ord Mantell

BFB Hero
The display....

I'm not going to be wearing this because I'm too short for PP2. Using available photos I was able to roughly determine the dude wearing the PP2 suit for the Kenner photos shoot was somewhere in the range of 6' 1.5" give or take an inch. He's pretty skinny for Fett but somehow it still works. Mostly.

Boba-Fett-Prepro2-Kenner-Shoot-Sitting-1.jpg

First thing is to figure out the pose and finding the right mannequin for it. I had some ideas. I know it needs to be skinny and have a little swagger. Contrapposto and all. Luckily the vast majority of male mannies are in the right height range.

Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 10.46.58 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 10.48.17 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 10.36.43 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 10.45.36 PM.png

In the end I opted for a cheaper compromise than the above mannies.... it has the wide stance with a hint of the contrapposto, and arms I could articulate later if needed. It's 6' 2" and as skinny as I could find.

Untitled.jpg

Mannequin looks great. I just picked up a set of these silicone poseable hands from Etsy.
They have a resin core which I drilled out, and then screwed + epoxied the mannequin hand hardware into there. They fingers pose really well and they look super realistic, so there’s no need to mold up your knuckles again.

rubio95

Admin
Staff member
Delicious! Lucky you, with PP2 helmets basically falling out of your pockets…
Although I love the ESB the PP2 has always been my favorite
Couldn’t agree more. A funny thing happened when I received that MDF…could’ve done a variety of helmets. Went with PP2. And, while I always LIKED it, well enough…painting it causes you to slowly fall head over heels in love with it.

Ord Mantell

BFB Hero
Mannequin looks great. I just picked up a set of these silicone poseable hands from Etsy.
They have a resin core which I drilled out, and then screwed + epoxied the mannequin hand hardware into there. They fingers pose really well and they look super realistic, so there’s no need to mold up your knuckles again.
ah yeah, I've seen those and wondered about them. They sound great by your description. Put up a thread about how they turned out on your display, or post pics up here. Would love to see.

ah yeah, I've seen those and wondered about them. They sound great by your description. Put up a thread about how they turned out on your display, or post pics up here. Would love to see.
Build thread is coming shortly, but here's a quick look:

mannyhand.jpg

After my previous post I actually tried getting them to hold up the aluminum Webley replica, and it's going to take some more work to support all of that weight.

The resin core isn't secured to the silicone, so I'm figuring out a a method to make that connection more solid. I also need to work on the positioning of the arms. More to come soon.

Ord Mantell

BFB Hero
The resin core isn't secured to the silicone, so I'm figuring out a a method to make that connection more solid. I also need to work on the positioning of the arms. More to come soon.
I imagine the wrists don't bend either? If you wanted a wrist joint you'd have to build that into the connection, yeah?

I imagine the wrists don't bend either? If you wanted a wrist joint you'd have to build that into the connection, yeah?
That's correct. Definitely not a plug and play solution, but I consider this an upgrade from the mannequin's original hands, and I'm pretty close to getting the pose I want it without altering the wrist connection.

Ord Mantell

BFB Hero
Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 7.50.01 PM.png

This is a test fit with my ESB Clothears suit and some ESB armor on the new manny. The pic's color was quickly photoshopped with PP2 colors. I also cheated and moved the helmet down another couple of inches since it looks like I will need to shave a little off the manny's head to get the helmet to sit right. For me, PP2's 'no-neck' look distinguishes it from the other versions and is important to get right. That'll go on the to-do list.

This was just to see how the Clothears suit fit on the taller manny. I figure all the original suits were basically the same size and just fit the different actors differently based on their height and body shape, although there may have indeed been some minor differences in the suits since PP2 definitely seems to be more snug in general. But I hypothesized my current ESB suit might fit the taller manny in a similar way with how the PP2 suit fits the Kenner dude:

1 - The thigh pockets ride high and cram up into the crotch area more than ESB or ROTJ
2 - the ankles ride high
3 - the shin tools collide with the knees because the shin tool pockets are further up the leg.

Indeed, these things did sort of show up in the test fit.

Screen Shot 2022-03-26 at 12.44.17 PM.png

Hmmm... maybe that shin pocket should be a little tighter and a fraction taller on the squeegee.

But I think this same suit size will work as needed on the taller manny just fine. My order with Clothears is in, using the same numbers I used on the ESB order. I'll have to wait until October to get it. Worth the wait, though.

Last edited:

Ord Mantell

BFB Hero
Did some work on one of the helmets which needed further trimming inside the visor area for the visor to sit more flush. Also needed to revise the visor attachment a bit. I reheated the t-visor.com visor in the oven (the same as many others I have done) to refit it, and this happened:

IMG_3956.jpg

🤣

Never seen a t-visor do that before. Bubbles, warpage and melting! Luckily I got tons of scrap visors laying around and a couple extra t-visors as well. So I tried another one and no problem. Behaved as it should and reshaped nicely. But be warned, though. Maybe this could happen to other t-visors.

From the photos here of both helmets, it seems I need to do a further adjustment to the visor attachment on the one. Both of these MDF helmets have slight warpage to the overall shape in the mandible areas. Its more obvious now that we have lineage castings much higher up the generational tree. It makes fitting the visor a tad more challenging.

Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 12.33.23 AM.png