Building a Boba Fett: Epic Fails

boba87fett

Admin
Staff member
Fellow Boba Fett Builders,

Endeavoring to build one of the most complicated Star Wars costumes, especially with little to no experience in prop making for most of us initially leads almost all of us to experience some heart stopping, gut wrenching mistakes during our builds. Often, we work hard to hide our mistakes or text them privately to a couple close friends in order to save face.

We at BFB believe that when we hide our mistakes, rather than share them with others it limits the value those mistakes can bring to us, our friends and the community of builders. I don't want you to make the same mistakes that I did. Learn from my mistakes and make your own and then share them with others.

This thread exists as a fun place for us to experience those moments together and share a laugh... maybe even a tear depending on how much paint you just ripped off that beautiful dome you've spent hours on prior to pulling that super tacky masking tape off your uncured paint haha...

That said... post 'em up!

-Steven

Last edited:

ShortFuse

BFB Hero
This is a great idea. Most of us do not always want to point out our own shortcomings. In reality though, we all make mistakes. I know I’ve made more than my share. I wish I would have taken pictures of all of them. I could have filled up this whole forum. 🤣

boba87fett

Admin
Staff member
This is a great idea. Most of us do not always want to point out our own shortcomings. In reality though, we all make mistakes. I know I’ve made more than my share. I wish I would have taken pictures of all of them. I could have filled up this whole forum. 🤣
I need to add a ton more of mine haha

Cantina_Dude

BFB Hero
Yikes! Looks like they didn't get proper adhesion between the outer epoxy coat and the inner fibreglass. Obviously your modifications were fairly invasive but that should not have delaminated like that if the fibreglass was fully impregnated into the outer epoxy coat. Probably something to be cautious of with these helmets. I'm glad to hear you were able to fix it up!

Ord Mantell

BFB Hero
Yikes! Looks like they didn't get proper adhesion between the outer epoxy coat and the inner fibreglass. Obviously your modifications were fairly invasive but that should not have delaminated like that if the fibreglass was fully impregnated into the outer epoxy coat. Probably something to be cautious of with these helmets. I'm glad to hear you were able to fix it up!
I think you're spot on. Probably why this one was sold at a discount as "paint-grade." Can't complain. It's otherwise held up under a lot of abuse in my restoration.

ShortFuse

BFB Hero
I found one! Not really a fail during my build, but during a troop. The magnets I use on my gauntlets to keep them closed failed on my left gauntlet. The epoxy broke away causing one of the magnets to fall off. I luckily had some zip ties in my kit tote and used them to hold the gauntlet shut as seen in this pic. It’s always a good idea to carry emergency repair supplies in your kit tote. Duct tape, zip ties, bailing wire, ect. :p

5BC33CE1-69BE-487D-ADFF-B90C011E9948.jpeg

Irongladiator

BFB Hero
For me...
It was during my helmet paint-up. I got a newer Boba Maker VX bucket and it was fast approaching the deadline I had to get it done as I had a 2020 Halloween event to go to. I had two weeks to get the helmet job done. Everything started out fine till I got to my cheeks and it was a late night and I thought to seal my work up for the night and ended up spraying the sealer closer than manufacturers recommendation of 12 inches away. I think I was more like 5-6 inches. This was the result of that misguided effort....
Helmet 1.jpg

Needless to say I was totally bummed. I still had some finer details I was meaning to put on it. But I also still had the dome to do too. I soldiered on and this was the finished product.....
Finished Helmet - 1.jpg
Finished Helmet - 2.jpg
Finished Helmet - 3.jpg
Finished Helmet - 4.jpg
Finished Helmet - 5.jpg

The intention now is to strip it all off and redo it. I'm NOT looking forward to it, but I think once I start I should find fun in re-doing it over. Plus I'll have the added benefit of not being under a time crunch too.

-Iron

For me...
It was during my helmet paint-up. I got a newer Boba Maker VX bucket and it was fast approaching the deadline I had to get it done as I had a 2020 Halloween event to go to. I had two weeks to get the helmet job done. Everything started out fine till I got to my cheeks and it was a late night and I thought to seal my work up for the night and ended up spraying the sealer closer than manufacturers recommendation of 12 inches away. I think I was more like 5-6 inches. This was the result of that misguided effort....
View attachment 3562

Needless to say I was totally bummed. I still had some finer details I was meaning to put on it. But I also still had the dome to do too. I soldiered on and this was the finished product.....
View attachment 3563
View attachment 3564
View attachment 3565
View attachment 3566
View attachment 3567

The intention now is to strip it all off and redo it. I'm NOT looking forward to it, but I think once I start I should find fun in re-doing it over. Plus I'll have the added benefit of not being under a time crunch too.

-Iron
That same crackle texture happened on my gauntlets the first time I painted a set. I found out afterwards that it’s due to not misting the sealer in light coats.

Laying it on heavy and wet reactivates the paints underneath causing this reaction. I’ve been super cautious ever since.

Irongladiator

BFB Hero
That same crackle texture happened on my gauntlets the first time I painted at set. I found out afterwards that it’s due to not misting the sealer in light coats.

Laying it on heavy and wet reactivates the paints underneath causing this reaction. I’ve been super cautious ever since.
@roger12RAMJET
...and that's exactly what I did with the rest of my build. At the recommended 12 inch or greater range. Misted it on in coats and it was fine - sealed up very nicely. (y)

-Iron

RafalFett

BFB Hero
If it helps (or not), on the ESB helmet the visor material used to cover the keyhole has a 3mm thickness and not 2mm as the T-visor.